Monday, August 23, 2004

A day of rest

Yesterday was quite the restful day. I must say, I did not do anything that needed to be done. To all those who haven't had replies to emails or letters, who probably wish that I had done some correspondence related activities instead, my apologies. Neither did I wash dishes, nor do laundry, nor tidy the endless stacks of paper that blossom in my general vicinity. I'm actually feeling like emailing friends this afternoon, I think. This Sunday, I had what my mother would call a "day in the bone". Track that idiom back to its origins.

I got much course reading done on Saturday. I keep relating course work to North American culture, to an extent which would probably fry my profs' brains should they hear of my pondered application of the skills which they so lovingly entrust to me. The Non-Western Music Analysis course led me to muse upon the songsmithing abilities of Eminem and his potential usefulness as an ideal rap genre subject of analysis due to his pervasive and amplified use of rap rhythms and syllable rhyme patterns. My study in Religion and Worldview keeps connecting in my head to my perceptions of the North American Christian Church, making me wonder if the growth issues we face might be due to the lack of High Religion and the preponderance of Folk Religion both masquerading as High Religion and attempting to replicate large-scale Folk systems in small-scale societies/congregations. Discourse Analysis has led me to critically assess Reader's Digest as a form of cultural propaganda, skewing notionally hortatory material to a variety of surface forms to disguise the true intent of the publication, which is to inform the sense of humor, moral values, economic patterns and political actions of the general populace in communally beneficial behaviour.

And I get to use more big words than ever before.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was indespensable for you to have that rest Eshinee...

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…