Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Busy weekend

Yes, we saw some of the Dead Sea Scrolls in Charlotte, NC on Friday. We even got back in time to heat up the lamb and black bean chili for the school-wide chili cook-off. While Rob's recipe did not place, it did receive rave personal reviews. As we are still eating leftovers 4 days later and that's not a problem, our own review concurs; a winning recipe.

On Saturday, we went to a free health screening in the morning, at a local church. My microalbuminuria was elevated (80 mg/L) but not dangerously so. I'm just chronically dehydrated because I don't like water. Sigh. I'm going to go drink 16 oz while I'm thinking of it, then continue blogging.

[drinking water]

There; done for a while. Sunday was hectic but, ultimately, very productive. We did the sermon portion for St John's Lutheran in Irmo, then stayed around for an hour, talking about ministry stuff. Went to Uno's pizzeria for lunch on the way home as we were ravenously hungry by this point (around 1PM). Crashed, physically, for the afternoon, waking up to eye the clock on occasion, make sure we didn't oversleep our next appointment. We co-preached again for an evening service at Grace Lutheran in Gilbert. Afterwards, there was a fabulous potluck. We ate lots of yummy food and talked with people about all kinds of stuff. In all, I think we were there about 2.5 hours. We vegged for the rest of the evening.

It was so great to hear people's responses to the work of Bible translation. Most people were like, "I had no idea that was still needing to be done!" We were like, "Neither did we ... until someone told us!" It feels good to be sharing the work with South Carolina.

Yesterday, I had class in the morning and reading to do for today's class in the afternoon. Choir practice was at 4:15 and I finished reading for today by 8PM. Between choir and dinnertime, the weather went from lovely and sunny to raining, hailing, dry but windy and back to calm again. It was no longer sunny by the end though, being night and all. The hail was not big enough to damage the car, thanks be to God. It was little, piddling, quick-melting stuff.

Today will be busier than most Tuesdays. My morning class is over and I am now getting ready for lunchtime recreational Greek reading. Rob and I are attending a free class this afternoon on "How to survive a church building program". Not that we have any particular need as we aren't on the pastor track. But I do wonder about the tensions experienced by a church community during such an effort. It will be interesting to hear the perspective of a guest professional on the subject.

I have a bunch of translation due tomorrow morning and that should occupy most of the rest of my day. I keep feeling like there's something else that I'm supposed to do today. It's not on my calendar, though, so I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…