Friday, April 25, 2008

On being "yaramuned"

Cool Shiyeyi word of the day: yaramuna – turn upside down (literally), to answer in a way that ends the discussion (figuratively)

‘Yaramuna’ shows up several times in these translated Bible stories. Today’s example is when Pilate writes ‘Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews’ on a sign on the cross. When the Jewish leaders ask him to rewrite it, Pilate ‘yaramunas’ them by saying, “What I have written, I have written.” In today’s parlance, if you heard someone being ‘yaramuned’, you would make a hand gesture (flicking the hand sideways at the wrist at head-level) and say, “Snap! DE-nied!”

You have to admit that the Shiyeyi language totally rocks.

There have also been some amazing birds outside my window all afternoon. Every time I have looked up upon seeing movement out there out of the corner of my eye, I have seen a totally different bird from what was out there a minute before. I told Rob and he got the camera for me. Therefore, I haven’t seen a bird out there since he brought me the camera. [sigh] Ah well. If I were taking crazy bird pictures, I wouldn’t be getting much work done, I suppose.

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…