Monday, September 26, 2005

Gas cap

We had a bit of an adventure today on the road. After gassing up at Dunsmuir, CA, I had a strong inclination to tell Rob to make sure he took the nozzle out when he was finished pumping the gas. I couldn't bring myself to do it and was surprised that I would think of telling him to do that. Talk about nitpicking, right? So, I said nothing, let him go about his business. We drove away.

We drove 20 miles before Rob noticed that the gas hatch was open. We pulled over and he got out to check the situation. Sure enough, the gas cap hadn't been put back on. I called Roadside Assistance to see if driving without a gas cap was dangerous but the guy couldn't help me or direct me to anyone who could. So, we prayed for protection and headed back to Dunsmuir to find the cap. It wasn't at the gas station or on the road where we had driven after leaving the station so we didn't know what to do. Also, we were being kind of tailgated so we had to go around the block in the area where we were most likely to have lost it off the top of the car. In doing so, we found a car parts place! I got out, checked with the guy inside to see if he had a replacement cap in stock for our car; he did indeed. I rejoiced openly. I asked if it was dangerous to drive around without a gas cap; he said it was. He said that gas could slosh out and ignite. Again, much rejoicing. What could have been really awful turned out to be an opportunity for God to show how much he cares about the little things.

Now, if only I had been nitpicky when I had first gotten the inclination to do so. Rob advised me to go ahead and nitpick next time I get that feeling.

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…