Sunday, January 13, 2008

Temporarily unchurched

We went for church at 8AM and there was no one there. The doors were open so we figured it would just be a minute before the pastor came out to get things started. 15 minutes later, we were still the only people there so we left. I was so exhausted when I woke up this morning anyway, I'm kind of still spacy, wouldn't have gotten much out of a service.

Yesterday morning, Rob let out a yelp when he was coming out of the spare room, followed by further exclamations of disgust. He came out and informed me that he had stepped on a centipede, which had then skittered behind the bookshelf in the bedroom. I need to explain what we mean by centipede. We're not talking a couple of inches long here. We're talking a foot long, glossy red-brown, with antennae. Ew. I was grossed out and couldn't get out of my chair for about 1/2 an hour, just thinking about his bare foot on a centipede. Then, for the rest of the day, I just kept thinking about it behind the bookshelf next to my side of the bed. I'm pretty sure those beasts can climb things. When I was in Haiti, my friend Donel told me about one that was in her bed there. So, I was pretty freaked out going to bed last night because I can't remember which ones are poisonous, the black ones or the colored ones. Something else to look up online tomorrow, I suppose.

So, yeah, last night I had nightmares about centipedes, in the bedroom, under the bed, climbing up through a hole in the bed, multiplying. The last part of the nightmare is me, on the bed, struggling to get away from the centipedes but my limbs are all frozen. Rob is calling out to me, telling me that I need to move but I can't. I say, “You need to pull me away, Rob!” but it's almost too late. They're almost there, at my toes. And that was my night. I couldn't sleep very well and was like rubber when the alarm went off. Which made it that much more tiring when I actually dragged myself around and got ready for church, only for church not to be happening when I arrived at the time when I thought it was supposed to be happening. They probably just decided on a joint service and we didn't know about it.

So Rob and I finished reading Baruch together. The Apocrypha gets translated here as well because of all the Catholics so we figured we'd better read it. My favorite line from Baruch, NET Bible version? “My spoiled children have travelled rough roads.” Baruch 4:26

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…