Monday, July 04, 2005

Independence Day

We had class anyway. After class in the afternoon, I worked out for a bit before getting down to studying. I'm finding I can study longer if I have a television on. Like, I have a ready diversion available to keep me from disappearing into my studies. And I have a constant awareness of how much time has passed so I can remember to eat, drink or move about every time a show changes. Didn't work as well later in the evening when I was watching Windtalker. That was surreal. I could hear sporadic fireworks going on outside while there were people plowing up on my screen. I don't normally watch war movies because they affect me too much, emotionally. But somehow this seemed like an appropriate movie to be watching on this day. I was discomfited and that was how I should feel.

The linguistic element of the plot was vivid as well. The code (Navajo language) was valuable to the military endeavor, it's speakers less so. People are more important than projects. Must remember that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you had class on the 4th of JULY??
how absolutely UNamerican. you canadians think you can just come down south and interrupt years of tradition.
i know you must have had something to do with this!

signed,
disgusted

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…