Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Dairy fungus

Yesterday was my grossest dairy day ever. It started with raspberry kefir. Having never had raspberry kefir before, I had no idea what the texture or taste should have been like. I drank a whole pint of the stuff a couple of weeks ago with the same feel and taste. Anyhow, something in my glass felt weird so I spit it out. It was a white disk, kind of thick around the edges, as big as my little finger-tip. I was utterly grossed out.

Later that day, I drank a glass of milk and felt something slip into my mouth. I spit that out. It was a white blob, looking like the size and texture of an egg-white. Again, grossed out.

I'm trying to figure out what I ingested, if either of these things need treatment. Here's what I've found so far:


The white disk in the center is a common dairy mold, penicillium. So, may not be toxic for me. Might have been dangerous for Rob, who is allergic to penicillin.


Except for the colored center in most of these cultures, it could also have been a young fusarium mold. This one is most associated with sinusitis.


This is the closest aspergillus so I'm thinking it was a penicillium.

I think I'm done with drinking cold dairy products for a bit.

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…