Sunday, October 23, 2005

Marcel Gagnon

Driving down the Oregon coast and seeing the crashing waves and jagged coastline reminded me of similar scenes from Canada, particularly Newfoundland. Newfoundland's coasts are just as nice as Oregon's ... minus the earthquake, tsunami and mudslide threats. I guess that's why so many Hollywood types are buying up property near Corner Brook, Newfoundland, at Strawberry Hill. Same coastline, fraction of the price, won't slide into ocean anytime soon. This is some of Newfoundland's coast:



Was also remembering an artist my family used to visit in Quebec, Marcel Gagnon. His work is different than it was when my parents were buying it. Looks kind of cartoony now. His paintings used to be more oily, viewed-through-patterned-glass looking. I can't describe it, really, but I like them alot. His concrete sculptures going out into the ocean were (and still are) pretty neat.



I remember having lunch with the family, watching the tide moving over statues to either reveal or conceal them, depending on when we were there. Lovely.

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…