Saturday, October 13, 2007

Yogurt adventures

We've had occasional plain yogurt shortages here, especially at the end of the month when grocery store shelves empty, so I'm trying to come up with a way of making it myself. As a healthy digestive system is the first line of defense against most things that attack the immune system, yogurt is our primary prophylactic. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a yogurt maker but, in the meantime, I'm wondering how I might do it low-tech. Most online recipes involve using the stove at precise temperature and I'm not thinking our stove can handle that. Well, I got an idea today while bringing in the laundry. I've been using our Action Packers to bring laundry in and out, closing the lid when I fill it with dry stuff to bring in. Just before lunch, I put a few dry items in, shut it and brought it inside, promptly forgetting about it. Half an hour later, I remembered the dry laundry and went to fold it. When I opened the lid, a wave of heat came out. Aha! Yogurt maker! If I can heat the milk, cool it, add the starter and put the milk-filled glass jars (old peanut butter jars) in something like an Action Packer in the sun for the whole day, that should do it. Not an Action Packer itself though; they're too valuable in this neck of the woods to risk that kind of sun damage. We'll find a plastic container in one of the local China shops. Which do not sell, as one might think, china. Rather, they sell cheap mass-produced goods from China. China shops are all over the place here in Francistown.

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…