Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Police report

Here's my account of what happened and the damage/loss:

We (Robert and Eshinee Veith) arrived at Resurrection Church, 134 S 206th St, Des Moines, WA around 5PM on October 2, 2006. We entered the church to register for the LWML Puget Sound Rally and meet our contact person, Elaine Nelson. Over the course of the next hour, we went to the car to get our display supplies from the trunk and set them up, probably at 5:20PM. There were people coming and going in the parking lot until at least 6PM, arriving for the rally (about 50 women, mostly over 60), leaving from having worked at the church during the day and leaving handbells practice. For about 1/3 of the time that we were in the front area of the church waiting for the rally to start at 6PM, we were sitting or standing in rooms with glass walls overlooked the part of the parking lot where our car was. The car was parked in the section of the lot roughly parallel with the church wall that was closest to the church, about 50 ft from the church wall. Between the lot and the church is just a bit of grass so if there had been any breaking of glass, I assume we would have heard it through the glass walls. Rob and I sat down for dinner at 6PM with the rest of the ladies at the rally. About 5 minutes before 7PM, we finished dinner and I went with the ladies to the sanctuary for the business part of the rally. Rob went to the restroom on his way to the car as he was going to leave during the business portion. When I sat down, I heard Elaine Nelson in front of me saying, "Do you know someone here with a Chevy Cavalier?" I told her that I did. She came back to my seat with a Post-it note and asked me if that was my license plate number, 695 UHY. I told her that it was. She said that there was some broken glass outside the car. I asked if my husband, Robert Veith, was around since he was supposed to be leaving. She said she hadn't seen him. I rushed out of the sanctuary and through the foyer, left the building and headed down the ramp toward the parking lot. I saw him headed towards the car, about 20 ft in front of me. I rushed to catch him so that we arrived at the car at the same time. We saw that there was glass all over the ground outside the passenger side door of our 2 door red 1998 Chevy Cavalier convertible. There was also glass all over the passenger seat and on the floor of the passenger side. The passenger side window of the car was broken. I could see immediately that my work laptop was stolen. After the glass was cleaned up, we were able to assess exactly how much had been taken. Here's the current assessment:

Lutheran Bible Translators' (of PO Box 2050, Aurora, IL, 60507) stolen property:
* Toshiba Tecra M3 [serial number: 45081476H] - $1600


Eshinee Veith's stolen property:
* Age of Mythology game cd - $30
* laptop briefcase - $30
* Streets & Trips with GPS - $100
* car power adapter into cigarette lighter - $30
* telephone cord (in the briefcase for dial-up access) - $8


Eshinee Veith's broken property:
* cassette adapter for mp3 player - $10 (cord pulled out of the cassette while it was stuck in the tape deck)

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…