Monday, October 23, 2006

specs on the new computer

We ordered my new MacBook on Tuesday. It will have a 120Gb hard drive, which I will partition so I can run Windows things for work and Mac things for creativity, online things and correspondence. So, I'm figuring out how big I'll need to make the partition so I can run Bootcamp.

Work Needs:
* Windows - 1.5 GB (or 5.5 GB, truth be told*)
* Office - 600 MB
* Translator's Workplace - 25 MB
* Paratext - 60 MB
* Shoebox - 62 MB
* Lingualinks Workshops - 250 MB
* Lingualinks Library - 10 MB
* Fieldworks - 2.6 GB
* Streets & Trips - 1.3 GB
* Data Manager - 5.3 MB
* Adobe Acrobat - 121 MB
* C-Pen - 7.8 MB
* NET Bible - 13 MB
* QuickMem Greek - 0.6 MB
* Keyman - 1.5 MB
* WinZip - 7.3 MB

Fun Needs:
* Skype - 15 MB
* Neverwinter Nights 2 - 4.6 GB
* UT 2004 - 3 GB
* Age of Mythology; Titans expansion - 1.5 GB
* World of Warcraft (maybe...) - 4 GB
* Biorhythm Calculator - 2.3 MB
* Custom Cookbook - 77 MB
* Google Toolbar - 5.4 MB
* Inspiration - 29 MB
* Neverwinter Nights - 11 GB
* Object-Dock - 11.6 MB

So far, that's about 33.3 GB of application space, in the Windows partition.

Then, I have 9.3 GB of documents from my old computer. Without leaving room for expansion, that requires 42.6 GB. So, if I partition my drive for an even 60 GB per operating system, I should be fine for doing everything I need (and want) to do.

And If I keep all my pictures (2.6 GB) and media files (2.6 GB) on the Mac side, that eliminates another 5.2 GB from the Windows side requirement.



* Rob says that he has 16GB of stuff on his Windows side. Between S&T, NWN TK, Acrobat Reader, AOM and UT2004, he put an estimated 10.5 GB of additional stuff on there. That means that installing Windows actually put about 5.5 GB of stuff that he can't get rid of on that side, rather than the stated 1.5 GB that Windows would require. He's tried uninstalling some of the things he'll never need (like Windows Media Player and MSN Messenger) but the computer reinstalls these things whenever he restarts. Gak!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooo! I just got Skype! Look me up or e-mail me your name!

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…