Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Polio situation update

I just got this email from Rob:

Sni,

I'm glad you sent out those links. I just read the medinfo site which says that you shouldn't get the booster if you have a severe allergy to penicillin. I wouldn't have known that otherwise. That might also explain why there's no record of me receiving it as a teenager; by that point it would have been too risky.

I'm being very careful with what I come in contact with. Thanks for sending the prayer request, though. The Lord is watching out for all of us here. Don't worry. I've been doing everything I can as well. Have been rubbing lemon oil on my hands after contact with anything with a remote possiblity of being infected (ie, after shaking hands). Only drinking double-filtered water (again, with lemon) and not using toilets in public places.

Tomorrow is my last day in Opuwo. Travelling back to Windhoek on Thursday.

Rob

So, this was a complication I hadn't tripped over. I'm doing more digging even now. Found one pdf document that refutes the penicillin allergy danger possibility. A site that the CDC referred me to says that the risk is to people who "who had a life-threatening allergic reaction to the antibiotics neomycin, streptomycin, or polymyxin B". That doesn't look like it includes penicillin.

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…