Thursday, February 02, 2006

Paul, oh, Paul




[click on the flowchart to view the monstrous thing fullsize]

So, I get to the end of Philippians 3:2-14 where Paul is saying "Therefore, as many as (are) finished (ones), let us reckon this (way) and if y’all think anything different, even God will reveal this to you." And I'm thinking, "What way? You've just said a gazillion things; what way in particular are you wanting us to reckon? In a convoluted, rabbit trailing, ever expounding way?"

I whipped out the Inspiration program and began to chart. Lo and behold, there it was. Paul wants us to remember that we don't need the circumcision because we are the circumcision. The body of the text contains Paul's musings on why circumcision is not profitable in itself, on a "being in Christ: of Spirit and not of flesh" level, elaborating on what being the circumcision means.

After working on this text for 2 days, I had forgotten how it all strung together, how the passage began.

1 comment:

Marco said...

Ain't that the way of the Epistles. Especially Paul's. They take all the concentration I have, and should definitely be read all the way through instead of one chapter per sitting. I think it's perfectly natural to prefer Judges or II Kings over the NT Epistles, but if I say it out loud people look at me all strange and I feel unspiritual.

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…