Saturday, December 06, 2008

Advent: Day 6



Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord;
I will be overjoyed because of my God.
For he clothes me in garments of deliverance;
he puts on me a robe symbolizing vindication.
I look like a bridegroom when he wears a turban as a priest would;
I look like a bride when she puts on her jewelry.


In October, Rob found himself in a bit of a quandary; he had upcoming events for which dress clothes would be required. First, there was the wedding of the daughter of a prominent person in the Wayeyi community, for which he needed a suit. Secondly, there was the Gaborone Music Society performance of Handel's Messiah, for which he needed black dress pants. He hadn't brought one with him but, even if he had, it wouldn't have fit him anymore with the way he's shrunk over the past year. All attempts to purchase one ready made fell flat because of his locally unusual height. That left us with the prospect of a custom-made suit. After a successful search for a good black fabric, we took it to a local designer. For 550 pula, she could make him a suit that would well meet his needs. We put in the order and waited. There was bit of worry about 10 days before the wedding when we called her to check on the suit only to discover that her tailor had left the country and she “thought that he'd be back by Friday.” That didn't sound promising. When I was mentioning this to my friend Johanna, she said that I must keep up hope. I said that it was hard to keep hope, especially when there's a good chance that you won't ever see the thing that you're hoping for. The disappointment is just too much if hope doesn't come to fruition. It seems easier sometimes just to save yourself the high of the hoping so that you don't feel the low of the disappointment quite so keenly. Her response was that the disappointment only comes from seeing a result other than the one you hoped for through the eyes of the word, not through God's eyes. If we could just see the potential for God to bring the highest good out of every potential outcome, then we could enjoy the highs of hope without having to worry about the chance of the lows. So, we made a deal–she would continue to hope for what she was hoping for if I would keep hoping for Rob's elusive suit. Within 24 hours, I got a call from the designer saying that Rob could come in that afternoon to try on his new suit.

What have you been holding back on hope for, just in case God's deliverance doesn't come?

No comments:

latest newsletter

blasts from the Dancing Sni's past…